In big letters on the side of the Hugmobile it reads, â€œThe world would rather hug you than hurt you.â€ Occasionally someone will confront me and mock my naivetÃ©. They will start making an argument that the world is harsh or cruel or dangerous.
Be careful how you define the world.
You can find evidence to support whatever you believeâ€¦so be very careful what you believe. Here are some of the moments of kindness I observed last Saturday…that help define my world.
- Jason discovered a huge bag of new chap stick tubes on his desk at work last week. While these are awesome gifts for homeless, their cost has made it cost-prohibitive to include them in our care packs. He asked all around the office, but nobody would admit to bringing them.
- A friend of Merekâ€™s mom wanted to help out. So she made sandwiches with the most expensive kosher brisket she could find.
- John & the K Pound crew decided to skip a Friday night of partying and use the money and time they would have spent to make 160 sandwiches for the Homeless.
- A woman and her 9 month old baby girl took a bunch of donated kids clothes and toddler toys. She said that she had all her babyâ€™s no-longer-fitting baby clothes washed and folded and wanted to donate them.
- A homeless woman tried on a near-new leather jacked that was among the donations. A volunteer chimed in with a smile, â€œThatâ€™s a great jacket!â€ The homeless woman took it off and offered it to the volunteer. (This happens a lot.)
- For the 10th month in a row, friends and neighbors have spent their Friday eve and Sat day in joyful service to their brothers & sisters in need.
Nov. 9, 2010