My name is John “Halcyon” Styn.
Artist, Designer, Strategist, Seeker, Reverend, Uncle, and Friend.
My life is my art.
born: 5.28.71 (3:20 pm, san diego, ca) 40 years old
faith: self-defined. (see: Belief Buffet)
clothing: textured (and often pink)
piercings: ears and nipple (6 & 10 gauge)
body hair: rigidly groomed
- Bought first URL in 1996, prehensile.com, to migrate my xeroxed â€œzineâ€ to this new worldwide publishing system I heard about. Published funny stories every monday.
- Worked as the very first Webmaster for Sony’s E-commerce Mall before they took it in house.(Sony Station)
- Sued by Fruit of the Loom for a parody piece called â€œMeat of the Loom.â€
After grassroots protests and press in Wired magazine, FotL back down in one of the first demonstrations of web as tool for collective action against evil (corporations).
- Launched cockybastard.com to publicly explore inward using this new medium.
- Won the 2000 Webby for best personal website, cockybastard.com.
- Employed as Spokesperson and Community Voice for the 2 million member CollegeClub.com web community from 1999-2001.
- Shot a TV Pilot, “Hot Tub TV”
- Employed Kaycee Nicole and promoted her weblog enthusiastically. (Her fake persona and death was one of TWO highly public times when I was played a fool.)
- Coined term, â€œdigital intimacyâ€ to explain the real connections people have over the net
- Explored webcams as a tool for connecting via the web. After developing CClive at collegeclub, created and ran CitizenX.com, experimental webcam community. Interviewed in “Design For Community” by Derek Powazek.
- Hosted and ran *live audience* interactive webcam events like Virtual Grace, HugNation, and the Feel The Love call-in show.
- Lived for 2.5 years in a 24/7 webcam house with night vision and audio.
- Subject of an MTV documentary about living publicly.
- Sam Donaldson said “Get a load of that guy! What an ego!” about me on the air at the 2001 Webby Awards.
- I MC’d The SXSW web awards (live event) from 1999-2003.
- Won a second Webby with my grandpa in 2007 for our video podcast, HugNation.
- Did the first ever “Hug Tour” in honor of Grandpa Caleb.
- In 2002, I was named one of the 10 most hated sites on the net by Yahoo Internet Life Magazine.
- In 2007 Yahoo featured me & Grandpa as notable “People of the Web”
- currently hosting the NBC.com experimental project “FEARS. REGRETS. DESIRES.”
- featured on the prestigious hotchickswithdouchebags.com in Nov. 2008.
- Sometimes when people are explaining things to me in a warm way, I get a blissful tingling sensation. Iâ€™ve called it â€œthe feelingâ€ since I was a kid. Sometimes an interesting accent can trigger it. Sometimes a cold chill, or foreign accent helps maintain it.
- I cut off my long hair on a TV makeover show.
- Had my first *real* date on the Gameshow STUDS.
- Burning Man is a central part of my spiritual practice. (participant since 1998)
- Pierced my right nipple in 1991 and my left in 2001.
- I have no tattoos.
- My best friend is my brother.
- I tend to be very good at being in the moment. But much worse at remembering moments.
- I forget everyone’s names.
- I love dancing in places where you can take your clothes off if you want. At least your shirt.
- My skin complexion is my weakness. I pick at my face and then get depressed when my face is a mess.
- I enjoy self-grooming (aka “manscaping”)more than I should.
- My personal mantra is, “love more, fear less. float more, steer less.”
- I had a spiritual experience on a mountaintop in Turkey in 1991 and have been changed ever since.
- I hosted a weekly call-in radio show for almost 2 years.
- I’ve never been in a romantic relationship that lasted more than 2.5 years.
- I’ve had the personal licence plates: DEF MANE, C*CKY, HUGABLE, and HUG NATN
- Lost my virginity or Prom night, right before my 18th birthday. Neither one of us climaxed.
- I wore turtle necks every day for a year (10th grade) because I thought it made my ears smaller and my ‘pencil neck’ not-so-noticeable.
- I wore makeup (foundation) during jr. high and high school because of my complexion.
- I was heavily into underground rap in 1988-89. My rap name was “Def Mane”
- My first car was a beige Volvo Station Wagon.
- I Helped start a fraternity while in college.
About the ‘Reverend’ Thing…
- I am ordained in the Universal Life Church.
- I have performed several marriages.
- I do not consider myself a Christian, but do consider Jesus to be one of my valued teachers.
- I believe that a spiritual path is deeply personal. And whatever works for you is perfect.
- I distrust anyone who knows “the true way.”
- I tend to believe what my grandpa believed. Summed up in the title of a book given to me by him: “All Religions Are True” by Gandhi.
- I consider myself a spiritual infant.
- I believe in love.
- I love you.
If I ever say anything worth reading, it is because I have learned from great teachers. Here are some people/places/things that enrich my journey.
- Jacob Glass
- Grandpa Caleb
- Byron Katie
- Eckart Tolle
- Thich Nhat Hanh
- Viktor Frankl
- Mr. Rogers
- Alan Watts
- Martha Beck
Schools of Thought